Early Years Foundation Stage at
St Paul’s Cray CE Primary
At St Paul’s Cray CE Primary School, our Early Years consists of 2 Reception classes and a Nursery class all run by qualified teachers and supported by experienced classroom assistants.
All classes have opportunities for independent activities throughout the day as well as directed teaching times and adult focus sessions in small groups. We recognise the importance of outdoor learning and have a Forest School which they take part in throughout the year as well as daily planned outdoor learning activities. Our provision aims to support transition from Nursery to Reception as well as Reception to Year 1.
Admission to Nursery
- We take children from the age of 2
- We accept 2 year old funding or alternatively, 2 year old sessions cost £15 without funding.
- Please apply by completing an admissions form (obtained from the school office). You are welcome to come and look around the Nursery before applying. Please ring to make an appointment to visit.
- The nursery has 26 places in the morning and the same in the afternoon. Children can attend 5 mornings, 5 afternoons or 2 full days and a half day. The sessions run from 8.45-11.45am, 12.10-3.10pm and 8.45am-3.10pm for a full day with £2 to be paid each full day attended for lunch supervision ( as this is not included in the 15 hours entitlement).
- When there are spaces available, there is an opportunity for parents to top up their children’s hours – each additional session for 3 year olds and above will cost £13 with £2 to be paid each full day attended for lunch supervision.
Admission to Reception Class
- Attending the Nursery does not guarantee a place in our school. Parents must apply through the CAF form sent to their home from central admissions at Bromley Borough. Our school admissions follow the borough guidelines.
- Our Reception classes start at 8.45am and finish at 3.10pm
- Children may wear jogging bottoms that match the school sweatshirt (to be ordered from school). Trainers may be worn in Nursery but school shoes are compulsory once children start in Reception class.
- School uniform is optional in the Nursery but bookbags are essential.
- Reception classes will need to have a named PE kit in school when they start.
- On Forest School days – all children will need a named pair of wellington boots and can wear old clothes to school that day.
What do we do?
- We place a huge emphasis on speech and language and are an accredited nursery for our achievements with this. We work closely with a speech therapist in school.
- We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum which includes many outdoor learning opportunities.
- We offer cooking activities (we ask for £1 a week to cover costs).
- We also run Forest School throughout the year where children learn many skills outside. It is a great opportunity for investigation, developing speech and language and social skills as well as learning about their environment and seasonal changes that occur. All children in Reception and Nursery will be able to take part in this throughout the year.
How do we involve parents?
- We have an open door policy and want to welcome you into our Early Years Foundation stage.
- We run home visits for children who are due to start in our nursery – they often feel more settled by seeing staff in their home first before meeting them again in the nursery setting.
- We run birthday assemblies as well as class assemblies which parents are invited to.
- We have a Stay and Play session in the nursery every Tuesday from 2-3pm – all children from birth to school age may attend this with their parents/carers. This is a free session where you can play with your child and join a story and music session at the end. It is a great opportunity to settle your child at our Nursery before they start and to meet the staff and other children.
- We make regular observational notes and take photographs of your child’s progress and achievements and we offer opportunities throughout the year for you to come and look at these and talk with the staff.
- We have home achievement boards for both classes where we value what your children have been doing at home with you.
- We welcome parent helpers into all classes.
- Pre-School Local Offer SEN
- Hungry little minds campaign
How can you contact us?
- We have a telephone number for the Early Years building – 01689 873519
- The main school telephone number is 01689 821993 which you can ring for an admissions form to nursery.
- FOR NURSERY please complete and return the following form to the School Office APPLICATION FORM FOR NURSERY
- FOR RECEPTION please complete and return the following form to the School Office APPLICATION FOR PRIMARY SCHOOL